Acacia honey encourages many health benefits. It aids in losing weight, enhancing skin conditions. It is also helpful to boost your immune system and help fight against chronic diseases.
It is produced from the black locust tree flowers. When the bees make contact with the flowers they produce honey.
Further, the other name for the black locust tree is false acacia which is available on a large scale in North America and Europe.
It is enriched with nutrients and antioxidants that work best, especially for the skin. It has a good deal of advantages that I will discuss with you in this article.
Acacia Honey – What is it?
By the name, it seems acacia honey is derived from acacia flowers but this is not the case. It is made by the bees when they pollinate the flowers of the black locust trees.
Additionally, the black locust trees grow very fast and go up to 40-70 feet in height. It has low pollen fulfillment which is why it suits almost all skin allergies.
It has usually no color. It has a natural light yellow almost the same as the golden-yellow color. This honey is full of nutrients and antioxidants therefore, it is beneficial for the skin.
Where does acacia honey come from?
It does not come from the acacia trees. This honey is produced by the black locust trees when the bees stay in contact with the trees.
These trees are native to the southeastern US but are widely available now in North America and three other continents. The black locust tree comes from the Robinia pseudoacacia or Caragana arborescens species.
Black locust trees are also known as “false or fake acacia”. The honey these trees produce has various labels in different countries such as locust honey or American honey when sold in America.
In addition, the Bulgarian and Hungarian beekeepers grow large forests of the black locust trees and collect honey on a large scale.
Properties of Acacia Honey
The acacia tree is very famous due to its properties and many experts highly recommend it. Therefore, there must be something very good about it. Let’s see what it is.
This honey is very famous because of its high capacity of staying in liquid form as it takes a long time one to two years to crystalize. Furthermore, it looks crystal clear when you pour and save it in a jar. It has a pale yellow color which is quite visible through the jar.
It is very common in use because it has a nice sweet taste (similar to vanilla) and slow crystalization. Many people prefer buying this honey because of it.
Moreover, it does not feel heavy since it has a mild taste. Its mild sweetness makes it more consumable than any other honey.
Due to its mild taste, it does not give any aftertaste which is great for using in your drinks such as milk.
This honey has a low fructose content and higher glucose content which is why it is very sweet and has a low glycemic index.
In addition, because of the low GI level, it is also suitable for diabetic people. Some therapists recommend 1-1 level of glucose and fructose for these people.
Lastly, if your kid does not like to have honey you can add a spoon or two of honey to their yogurt or milk. Its mild sweet taste won’t take over the taste of their meal while making it more beneficial.
Here are some of its characteristics.
- Mild Sweet Taste
- Powerful Antioxidant
- Pale Yellow Color
- Doesn’t feel heavy after consuming
- It can dissolve easily in drinks like milk
Acacia Honey Taste
It has a mild sweet taste that does not even feel heavier than other types of honey. It is very light on the stomach and serves your buds perfectly.
It slightly tastes like vanilla with a fresh aroma and no aftertastes. It is a perfect bundle of good taste and nutrients and health.
Moreover, it does not have a heavy texture. It is very light on the stomach and you can add more than one spoon to your meals.
Acacia Honey Nutrition
The 21 grams of acacia honey provide 17 grams of sugar and 60 calories. It has sugars glucose, fructose, and sucrose out of which fructose.
Furthermore, it contains other vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C and magnesium. This honey is rich in flavonoids that work as an antioxidant.
Acacia Honey Price
It is very pure and full of high-quality nutrients and health benefits, therefore, it is available at high prices.
Moreover, it is very rare to find this honey, and highly in demand which is why it is costly. In other words, it is premium quality and costly honey.
The acacia tree starts to blossom in May. This is not a good month for the bee forage as they are not strong enough to produce honey.
As a result, the beekeepers have to grow more bees which is also dangerous. Sometimes, this honey does not produce for years resulting in a shortage of honey and an increase in prices.
Additionally, the bees get stronger in May and they tend to leave the hive because they lack space in the beehive.
Uses of Acacia Honey
Acacia honey is famous for boosting your immune system, healing wounds, and helping you with your skin problems. It has a high amount of nutrients and antioxidants therefore, it works well for improving your health.
Moreover, the light sweet taste and texture are very good. You can add acacia honey to your milk or other drinks.
Taking more than one spoon won’t make you feel heavy on the stomach. You can also use it for making desserts and other dishes.
Benefits of Acacia Honey
It is very helpful in many ways as it has a wide range of benefits. Let’s discover more about its benefits.
- Rich in Antioxidants. It has more important antioxidants. These antioxidants are helpful to prevent you from chronic diseases such as cancer or heart disease. Antioxidants help you to fight against the damage that free radicals cause. Flavonoids are the main type of antioxidants that are available in high amounts in it. In addition, this is a great thing for preventing chronic diseases. The beta-carotene supplements are fine for brain and skin health.
- Natural Antibacterial Properties. It is famous because of its antibacterial properties. It is one of the amazing attributes that acacia honey has. This honey has hydrogen peroxide in small amounts which aids in fighting against bacteria by breaking its cell walls.
- Aids in Wound Healing. It is an ancient practice to use this honey for healing wounds. This is the best remedy for the wounds as it creates a moist and protective layer that is best for treating the wounds. Moreover, it speeds up the healing process because of its antioxidant and antibacterial properties.
- Prevents and Treats Acne. There is scientific proof that it is used to treat acne. Many pharmacies use it for making medicines for acne. Additionally, acacia honey has an antibacterial property that keeps your skin free from bacteria and hence you do not have acne.
- Improves Blood Circulation. It contributes to the proper flow of blood. It produces red blood cells and platelets which aids in better blood circulation.
- Reduces Constipation. This honey has laxative properties that are helpful for the decrease in intestinal inflammation and detoxifications. Moreover, it helps in reducing or relieving constipation.
Acacia Honey Side Effects
There are some downsides to using acacia honey. Here are some of the points you to take notice of.
- Acacia honey is not recommended for babies under the age of one year. This is because of the risks of botulism.
- You should take acacia honey in an adequate amount as it may cause diabetes. Diabetic patients should be careful in this regard.
- If you are allergic to bees or honey it may cause you irritation or an allergy to the skin.
- It can cause weight gain as it contains a lot of calories and sugar levels. Therefore, it can harm your health.
Where to buy Acacia Honey?
You can buy acacia honey from the stores near you or online. It is better to opt for the high-end stores to buy the original product. They can provide you with high-quality honey. Moreover, you can go for some of the brand options here.
- Honey Farm: This brand is one of the best ones and sells the highest quality honey. The honey from this brand has a sweet taste and is nutritious and natural.
- Hungary Bees: They have raw organic honey that is full of nutrition and comes from the forests of Hungary.
- Nature Nate’s Store: You can trust this brand for buying acacia honey in a pure form. They have unfiltered and raw form honey. It is in 100% pure form.
Acacia Honey Comparison
It is well-known honey among all the honey types. Let’s make comparisons between acacia honey with some different types of honey to know better about its properties and benefits.
Acacia Honey Vs Manuka Honey
The main difference between acacia and Manuka honey is that the manuka flower produces manuka honey. While on the other hand, the black locust tree produces acacia honey. As a result, both types of honey have different properties.
However, both kinds of honey are great at healing wounds. In comparison, manuka honey is the best at healing stubborn or non-healing wounds.
The acacia honey crystallizes slowly and takes 1 or 2 years. While manuka honey aids in oral health and prevents tooth decay.
It is best for skin and brain health. The manuka honey is useful for soothing a sore throat, preventing gastric ulcers, improving the digestive system, and may treat the symptoms of cystic fibrosis.
In addition, both kinds of honey do the best job at preventing acne and improving digestion.
Acacia Honey vs Regular Honey
Acacia honey is the finest honey when it comes to comparison with regular honey.
The regular honey crystallizes quickly while acacia honey is very slow at it. It is more light in color and clear in appearance. And the regular honey has a bit of dark yellow color.
Additionally, the acacia honey has a mild sweet taste with the flower aroma and is light on the stomach. On the other hand, the regular honey is heavy and smooth with a bit high sweetener level.
Neem Honey vs Acacia Honey
Neem honey is organic honey that comes from the forests of central India. It is the most organic and pure form of honey.
Both kinds of honey have healing properties. These both work as antibacterial agents too.
Furthermore, neem honey works best as an anti-cough and anti-inflammatory. The acacia honey, on the other hand, acts as an anti-bacterial and is full of antioxidants.
The neem honey has some effective medical benefits such as the elimination of intestinal worms, bile suppression, and phlegm.
Acacia honey is made from black locust trees. It has a light yellow appearance and crystallizes slowly. Since it is very popular among other types of honey, it is more in demand because of its amazing properties and nutrients.
Moreover, it is a bit pricey because it is very rare. Adding acacia honey to your diet has so many benefits if taken in enough amounts as too much of anything is bad for your health. Now that you know about its benefits and downsides you can make the best use of it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q) What is acacia honey?
Answer: This honey is made by the bees when they pollinate the flowers of the black locust trees which is also known as fake or false acacia.
Q) What is acacia honey good for?
Answer: It is good for relieving coughs, soothing sore throats, and helping to fight off cold symptoms. It also has antibacterial properties which can help if you suffer from a sore throat or are recovering from a cold.
Q) What does acacia honey taste like?
Answer: The taste of acacia honey is sweet, slightly spicy, and very smooth.
Q) Is acacia honey pure honey?
Answer: Yes, it is pure honey.
Q) Is acacia honey better than Manuka?
Answer: Acacia honey is much less expensive than Manuka, but it’s still good. However, it will not give you the same level of healing properties as true Manuka honey.
We appreciate your helpul feedback!
Your answer will be used to improve our content. The more feedback you give us, the better our pages can be.
Hi there! It's Kurt Johnson here, a 35 years old wood, trees, and plants enthusiast who has worked as a carpenter, flooring and furniture, beach, and patio decking expert in the last 10 years. Now, I'm here to share my experience with woods through my acacia wood blog. Hope you are learning a lot from my articles.